American mobsters – Abe Wagner – Whacked By Murder Incorporated


Abe Wagner was a thief / bookmaker on the East side who made himself a key Jewish hoodie, the new “Kid Dropper,” he told people; Dropper was a tough leader of a Jewish gang from New York who bought a ranch himself in 1923. Wagner thought he was such a tough guy, he once attacked the son of Italian mob king Joe “Boss” Masseri, then told the child to go home and show his to the old man what Abe Wagner did. Fortunately for Wagner, Masseria was shot before he could avenge his son’s conspiracy.

Wagner and his brother Allie were living nicely in a betting business on the Lower East Side when an upset Mazza gang decided to go after them and take over their operations. On February 20, 1932, Wagner was driving down Suffolk Street in his brand new car. As Wagner slowly weaved past the numerous street carts, out of nowhere half a dozen archers appeared and opened fire. As his car shot into the Swiss cheese, Wagner somehow managed to roll down the passenger door and then managed to escape by knocking through a crowded street.

Not being the bravest of souls as he claimed, Wagner decided to make peace with his enemies. He sent his partner Harry and brother Albie to the Mazza gang headquarters at the Hatfield Hotel on the Upper East Side. “See if you can repay them,” Wagner said. The two men arrived at the Hatfield Hotel with a large sum of money. Mazza accepted the cash, but then killed Albie Wagner dead, leaving Harry Brown alive, so he could deliver a message to Abe Wagner that peace cannot be made until old Abe is also dead.

Wagner’s mother Paulie was humiliated when her youngest son Albie was killed and she didn’t want the same fate to befall Abe. “Take Goldie (Abe’s wife) and go somewhere for a while,” Mom Wagner told her son. “Go now so I don’t worry. Hurry up.”

Wagner did as his mother said and quickly left town. A month later, Lindberg’s child was abducted in Hopewell, New Jersey, and Wagner was immediately under suspicion. “We have advice that Wagner was seen near Hopewell about a month before the abduction,” said Colonel H. Norman Schwarzkopf, New Jersey State Police Chief.

Cops couldn’t find Wagner, but Mazza Gang, now aligned with Lucky Lucian, had a multitude of eyes and eyes and feet on the ground across the country, so they launched this apparatus. After Wagner agreed with his wife in various places outside the city, he decided to sneak into New York City to see his mom. He had been in his mother’s apartment for several hours when Mami Wagner received the news that her son had been spotted. “Go fast,” she said. “Don’t wait.”

Wagner took his wife and lifted her to the west, stopping at St. Paul in Minnesota. He changed his identity to Abe Loeb and decided to get into the fruit business. For weeks, Mazza Gang located Wagner, and Luciano contacted his old friends Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky, who along with Louie “Pretty” Buchalter founded a neat business called Murder Incorporated, which consisted of a nasty bunch of contract killers. for rent. They sent two of their best men, Joseph Shaefer and George Young, to St. Louis. Paul to push a button on Wagner. Both were already on guard because they killed federal agent John J. Finiello, during a raid two years earlier on the illegal Elizabeth Brewery, New Jersey. They both knew St. Paul intimately, as it was one of their hiding places for two years on the run.

On July 25, 1932, Wagner and his new partner Al Gordon left the drug trade on University Avenue after fulfilling a prescription. They were followed by Schaefer and Young riding in dark green Packard. Suddenly the striking men jumped out of the car and started firing. Gordon was killed immediately, but Wagner was only wounded. Life ran down University Avenue and then turned onto Snelling Avenue. Gunmen caught Wagner as he ran into the Green Dragon restaurant. There, in front of witnesses, he was shot six times and then beaten on the head. Wagner died hours later at Ancker Hospital, and gunmen were arrested by a passing patrol minutes later on Roy Street. Convicted and convicted and sentenced to life in prison, despite attempts by Lansky and Siegel, who spent thousands of dollars to help them avoid the death penalty.

St. Paul’s police did not identify the dead “Loeb” as a fugitive Wagner. As a result, the following Thursday, Mom Wagner held a “press conference” at her apartment on Rutgers Street. She told reporters, “My boy Alie was killed in St. Paul last Monday. The same killers killed him as my Allie here. I knew he would. But why? Why? My boy has always been so good to me.”

As evidence of her son’s murder, she produced a telegram from Wagner’s wife Goldie, asking her to pay twenty-five dollars so she could transport Wagner back to New York for a real funeral. “That was all the money I had,” Mom Wagner said. “If that’s not my son, why would I have a telegram?”